Thursday, May 7, 2015

Day 60 - Morning Check-In

Thursday, 5/7/15, 7:13am

Today is day 60 and while I've been looking forward to this day for a long time I am filled with mixed emotions. 

At this point I'm not sure if the new scale I bought is busted or if I really just gained 1.5 pounds this past week. I understand that weight can fluctuate but according to the scale I have only lost about four pounds in 60 days!! I have been diligently tracking my calories and entering them into my daily food journal using MFP and on top of that I have been exercising 3 to 5 times a week. At least once or twice a week I even do a three hour workout at the gym!! I'm seriously busting my butt so I'm really confused at why the scale is not budging. I lose a pound one week only to gain it back the following week. 

I hate to be a broken record, but last summer I lost 28 pounds in sixty days so these 4 pounds in the same amount of time seriously doesn't make sense. I understand that muscle weighs more than fat or that you can plateau for a week or two. But let's be honest... this has been going on for over a month now. This isn't caused by muscle weighing more than fat and isn't caused because of a plateau. I've been changing up my workouts, I've been increasing the intensity, I even went on a 9 mile hike two weeks ago...  What more can I do??

As much of a bummer as this is I'm not going to let it affect my progress. I made a decision two months ago to change in the way my kids and I were eating. This is not a decision I made lately and it is not something that I'm going to stop doing just because an annoying ass scale won't budge. All I can do at this point is to keep doing exactly what I've been doing and just hope that it pays off in the long run.

I always seem to fall apart after day 60 and I now kind of understand how that could happen. It's so easy to lose motivation or to be discouraged when you're not seeing the results that you think you earned.

I believe what is important is your mindset when you start your healthy lifestyle. If you go into it thinking that it's a diet, one you have to follow to lose weight and then can stop once the weight falls off, you are setting yourself up to fail. In the past I always saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Every pound I lost was not only getting me closer to my weight loss goal but getting me closer to the day I could go back to eating "normal". I would think I was in it for the long haul but in reality I couldn't wait to  go back to normal eating. Normal eating didn't mean eating donuts for breakfast every morning but it did mean having them once in a blue moon. It also meant having food with more fat, basically a less restrictive diet. But mostly I don't think I was looking forward to the day where I woulmdy have to keep track of EVERYTHING I ate. I wouldn't have o count calories. I wouldn't have to research 

No comments:

Post a Comment